Submitted by Joe Burkhead, member of Reidland United Methodist Church, Reidland, Ky.
The results of the Lakeshore United Methodist Camp & Retreat Center COLOR CUP CHALLENGE fund raiser are now official, and Purchase District came in at #1 of the four districts in the Memphis Conference (the Tennessee Conference was the fifth “color” but did not participate). Of course, the big winner was Lakeshore, with just under $82,000 raised for the “Save the ‘Shore’” campaign.
Noteworthy from this fundraiser:
· The Purchase District raised $36,343 to finish in first place of the five designated “color” teams – the four districts of the Memphis Conference, plus the Tennessee Conference (which did not participate).
· The original fund raising goal set for each team was $8,000. Therefore, Purchase District more than quadrupled our target!
· The goal set for the entire Memphis and Tennessee Conferences was $40,000. The amount raised in the Memphis Conference totaled $81,895 — more than double the target.
· The Purchase District – with over $36,000 raised – almost single-handedly met the goal of $40,000!
· As noted above, Lakeshore was the big winner!
The money raised will cover more than a month of operating expenses for Lakeshore – a huge boost in our efforts to survive until the upcoming camping season arrives, and hopefully return us to more profitable and “normal” operation going forward. The “Year of COVID” has been a difficult one, but God has given us the means to survive, and with His help, we will make it!!
Thanks to all who participated in any way with this major fund raising effort. We are one generous bunch of God’s servants!
Click here to watch Lakeshore’s video announcing the winner. (Note: The video indicates that $71,645 was raised; however, the final total was $81,895.)